Why blog?

I'm blogging because it creates a real time account of thoughts and processes to not only help me with my degree course but also force me to actively reflect on a weeks, days work. I may repeat myself, I may spell things incorrectly. I may sound pretentious and wanky at points. There is no real excuse for any of this, and welcome someone telling me so. I also encourage people to disagree with me. Because it will force me to back up what I'm talking about, If I can't then thats something I need to identify!

Monday 2 March 2009

A plethora of inactivity

This blog has seen a plethora of inactivity by myself over the last two weeks. Why? Because I hit overload. Trying to make use of 24hr days seven days a week, cramming in rehearsals for this that and the other my mind became numb and I became ill and tired. This feeling heightened by the first day of media lab that assaulted my senses draining me of any energy I had left.

On a side note, I like sessions to have a clear path, broken down, with each section headed with what we are going to do. Or, a continual flow moving from one thing to another. I do not like sitting down and idly talking, or asked to faf about, without being tod what we are trying to achieve with a set up!

On another tangent, the idea that theory holds up practice is a little relieving. That a performance can be created out of a soup pot of ideas and theories, and that what is created is new in it self, stemming from the soup pot to create soup. This soup is new, and in the tasting you can find out new ideas and thoughts. I already knew this, but somehow it seemed wrong at the beginning of the course, now, perhaps not.

On a divergent path, trains are great, but not if you are sitting next o a large man who is continually farting!

We live in a plug and play society; yet often today’s theatre forgets about the play part, where audiences lust watch and consume passively. Theatre was born out of a meeting place to talk. This still exists on the rural theatre tour, in town halls and community centres, the theatre playing second fiddle to the act of meeting.

How can we create a theatre that is truly interactive? Where an audience is asked to respond, even if it is just a smile, a laugh. Where they can truly plug and play?

No comments:

Post a Comment