Why blog?

I'm blogging because it creates a real time account of thoughts and processes to not only help me with my degree course but also force me to actively reflect on a weeks, days work. I may repeat myself, I may spell things incorrectly. I may sound pretentious and wanky at points. There is no real excuse for any of this, and welcome someone telling me so. I also encourage people to disagree with me. Because it will force me to back up what I'm talking about, If I can't then thats something I need to identify!

Friday 13 March 2009

Pedagogy

A student said to me that when I ran the hour warm up sessions at St. Mary’s she hated me. They all hated me. They wanted to kill me in-fact. Then she said, but we did it. You’d make us run and we hated running, but you were so enthusiastic, so loud, so big and we did it. She said that I always used to say well done to her when she was doing well; she thought she wasn’t doing anything special, but then he rest of the class all looked at her to find out what they were doing wrong. She said, “I remember your classes,” “I could do your classes even if I didn’t understand why I was doing some stupid movement.” “You know”, she says, “they weren’t that bad really.”

To achieve something that you don’t want to do, something you found difficult or “annoying” makes the pay off even bigger when you achieve it.

Teaching can be fun, and often, when things are fun you absorb information that you later find remnants from, but if you are solely enjoying yourself and carried away by something, and classify it as something that is fun, then you label it as something unimportant.

No comments:

Post a Comment